Friday, December 3, 2010

Graham Greene's Brighton Rock



A murderer is regarded by the conventional world as something almost monstrous, but a murderer to himself is only an ordinary man. It is only if the murderer is a good man that he can be regarded as monstrous. Graham Greene


What a bloody brilliant novel! I'm completely captivated by the plot, the characters, the dialogue. I'm about 2/3 of the way through and I can't stop reading. Presumably, this novel is set in England, but it has this very "Brooklyn" feel about it.


In any case, I found this song by Queen, "Brighton Rock," affirming that yes, yes, this is British, very British:

3 comments:

e.f. bartlam said...

My neighbor has been in the process of moving for the last two weeks. Most of the books in his house were his friends (who's recently passed) and he told me to go through 'em and take what I liked.

I got some good ones...but, this afternoon he asked me to take one more look (I've already been through 'em three times) just in case...so I did.

Found a nice copy of Brighton Rock and Our man in Havana..both from the Viking Collected Series. They were in with a bunch of cookbooks.

Lookin' forward to gettin' at Brighton Rock now.

Onalittlecanoe said...

I love it when friends unload books! If it weren't for this British Novel class that I'm taking, I probably would've never thought to read this book. I think you will enjoy it. There are a multitude of layers in this book. Share your thoughts with me when you're done. :)

December 10, 2010 7:22 AM

e.f. bartlam said...

I got so many books from next door. I hated the circumstances but the fella wanted me to have 'em.

I'll let you know when I get around to Brighton Rock.

If it hadn't been for this post my antenna might not have been up when I saw these books. They were sitting next to a Richard Simmons diet book and Kitchens of Louisiana book :). So, thanks.